Kostroma. Shopping Rows
In many cities of the Russian kingdom in the XVIII-XIX centuries were built shopping arcades. And Kostroma was no exception.
The trading range, like Kostromsky, did not remain safe, not in one city of modern Russia. A wide area, with long galleries in the style of classicism and stalls with a variety of crafts by local craftsmen.
Since ancient times, a large city on the Volga has become a center of trade, and it simply needed to have a place where traders and merchants could make their deals. So it happened, in the 17 century the city center was chosen by warehouses and stalls, then very small, faceless and made from a tree accessible to a simple Russian person. Having survived the 1773 fire of the year, the shopping center, like the whole city, begins its reorganization.
The first constructed object, meeting all the guests in the city rising from the ashes, is the Gostiny Dvor, also known as the Red Rows. The complex was completed in 1796 in accordance with the plan of K. Kler. Here they traded "red" items of trade - leather goods, fabrics, furs and shoes. It was here that for the first time a completely new format of self-service stores was tested on the territory of Russia.
During the construction of the Gostiny Dvor, the Church of the Savior in the Rows, which survived in the fire and remained in its original form, was installed in it, and only a little renovated bell tower distinguishes it from that seen by peasants in the XVIII centuries.
The construction of the peak structure - the Great Flour rows lasted a long time. To 1791 from 52 shops only 26 was ready. This is explained by the unwillingness of Chancellor AR Vorontsov to give the city part of the land on which stalls were built.
The red and flour rows were constructed in the form of a rectangle with rounded edges, and this was done for wheelchairs and carriages that passed by, and could touch the corners during bends.
In the womb of the Gostiny Dvor, according to the plan of the architect PI Fursov, the Finish rows, which sold haberdashery goods, were rebuilt. In view of the fact that the Red Courtyard was empty, the Cretaceous rows fit well into the environment and formed short, cozy shopping streets.
Later, in the direction of the Volga, several identical corps were attached to the Trade Yards: Gingerbread, Bread, Kvass, Live Fish, Fish, Meat and Shorra rows, the main feature of which were the columns. Hesperia, the infrastructure has expanded to Green, Oil, Tobacco and Tar series.
The constructed complex ends with a large series of rows - the Big Spots, comfortably located opposite the Kostroma Calancha.
The shopping arcade of Kostroma is a unique object, as if descended from the pages Books of fiction, Which allows you to plunge into the life of merchant life in its original form.